Friday, May 18, 2007

Name That Tune

I found this meme over on The Blogfathers, and I thought I would play along. It's obvious that LA Daddy and I roll to the same rock, because I could have echoed nearly all of his answers, so I'll have to be original and come up with my own.

What song do you hear that takes you back to high school?
Tough to pin down to just one song, so I'll give you two: Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2. It was obvious they were going to be huge. Also, Electric Avenue by Eddy Grant. It somehow became the theme song of my rowing team. Not for any good reason, except it was a fun, goofy song.

What song do you hear that really fills you full of regret?
Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses by Kathy Mattea. When I was a sophomore in college, I fell head over heels for this cute freshman from Arkansas. I drove her home for summer break (from Rochester, NY) and stayed about a week in her little hometown. Suddenly, I was a major country music fan, and in many other ways completely lost my shit.

Well, after a tearful parting, I headed back to Rochester to my summer job at Wegman's. I thought it would be a sweet, loving gesture to send a mixed tape to my girlfriend. On side one, I included some songs I thought were poignant. Eighteen Wheels is the only one I remember now. On side two I just talked and pined for my Southern belle.

Frankly, I think I scared the crap out of her. I regret making that mixed tape. Not two weeks into the fall semester she dumped me for her old high school boyfriend. It took me a long, long time to get over that. I feel sorry for my friends that they had to put up with me during all that melodrama.

What song restores your faith in humanity?
Damn, these are good questions.

Fight the Power
by Public Enemy. Do The Right Thing is one of the most powerful films I've ever seen. This song was absolutely perfect for it. Perfect, motivational, inspiring, and it pissed you off. Sometimes we have to get pissed off to get off the couch. This song restores my faith in humanity because I felt the passion of an entire theater full of people during that movie. Spike nailed it, and so did Chuck D.

What song truly makes you smile?
Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles. George Harrison's were some of the best Beatles songs.

What song can't you wait to play for your child?
He hasn't really had to wait for any, because we don't censor much here on Jefferson Street. Case in point, TB's first favorite popular song was Nelly's Hot in Herre.

But herre is my answer: Ocean Size by Jane's Addiction. The lyrics speak to me so precisely they almost make me shiver. Crank it to eleven and it will blow you off the planet. I'm sure my boy has heard it in the car, but I can't wait until he requests it.

What song didn't used to mean anything to you . . . and now it really does make an impact?
I'm struggling with this one. Pause for contemplation.

I went on to the other questions and came back to this one. After some serious thought, I say Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett. Maybe that means I'm middle aged, maybe it just means I like relaxing on the beach with some music and some tequila. Growing up, we never went to the beach, even though Coney Island was only about an hour away. My first beach trip happened when I was 22 years old. I've loved the beach ever since.

When I lived alone in Washington, DC, if I didn't have much going on one day, I would drive for hours to the shore in Delaware, just to spend a couple hours on the beach by myself. I like any beach: a busy beach, a quiet beach, a family beach, a party beach. I like the ocean, the seafood, the relaxation, the sand in my shoes. The only thing I don't like about the beach is the drive home.

There's no better beach music than Jimmy Buffett, except, of course, Bob Marley. With him, though, it's the whole body of work, and I didn't want to deal with picking one Marley song.

What song takes you back to college?
Hundreds of them, but primarily How Soon Is Now by The Smiths, and the entire Dark Side of the Moon album by Pink Floyd. Somehow I never discovered them in high school. I did in a big way in college.

What song would be the first song on your iPod if you were stuck on a desert island?
I'd be SOL because I don't have an iPod. So, since I'm being obnoxiously literal with this question, how about Save Me by Queen.

What band influenced you the most?
Again a double answer. Am I a windbag, or what?

As far as an influence on my life, The Police. They helped guide the course of several friendships back in the day.

Musically, I would say King Crimson. They completely changed my view of music, and made me understand that there is no good or bad. There is only what moves you.

There you have it. I'd love to know your songs as well, so if you want to play along, go to the Blogfathers link and join in.

1 comment:

Roanoke RnR said...

I played too...ah, the memories.