Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Realist Begins Online

How many millions have been here before: about to dive into the public miasma and make a first blog post? Yes, the banality of it all is enough to make me run away. Fact is though, I like writing, I have a monthly column, and more practice should just make perfect that much better, right?

I've cruised through a number of blogs, many irritating, many hilarious, many very artistic, many very sad. Many spouting views I strongly oppose, but if I enjoy the style, I'll go back for more. I am someone who, up until very recently, mostly shunned the home computer because I look at one all day at work. Usually, I find myself well behind the curve of change. Once again, I am. I have a 3-to-1 VCR to DVD ratio in my home, which means I have too much of everything, but also means I have some catching up to do. I have a thousand CDs, and no iPod.

The place we live is similar, about 5-10 years behind. Don't get me wrong, I love this city, but we are a little slow on the uptake. Did I come here because I knew I would fit in? Or is this what I've become as a result?

Example: we just had our first Panera Bread and our first Carrabba's go up here in town. In fact, I think we just got the concept that people will pay a bunch more for upscale restaurants in the parking lot than for anything in the food court. Do I like this development? Not really. I'd rather hang out downtown. But I just offer this as an example that my life, my city, and my blogging, probably lag laughably behind the crowd.

But so it begins. And thank you to the wonderful folks at the South Roanoke Circle for encouraging all this nonsense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it . . .

Anonymous said...

Email test