Friday, July 18, 2008

Hurt

I got to listening to Johnny Cash tonight, which led me toward poking around for videos. I know, you've seen Hurt. It's only a few short of 10 million views on YouTube.

This reminds my of my father, Rockwell B (Rock). He died in April, but I remember right after G'diddy died (a year ago April) that I watched this and felt a connection to my own father that I hadn't felt in a long while. He had already been gone from us mentally for years, but this video brought him back to me. It reminds me of my Dad after I moved away from NY.

It wasn't the Christian imagery in the video that touched me. It was the hurt. The hurt that he felt and inflicted and regretted, and the pity and pride that June shows at the end. That is my Mother. She was his rock. I still don't think redemption has anything to do with Jesus, but I think it exists.

I'm sure my Dad had regrets, and hurt. I miss him, but he's been redeemed.

Anyway, you've seen this before, but it's worth watching again.

2 comments:

Roanoke RnR said...

I tear up everytime I watch that video or hear the song...it reminds me of my dad too..."Wish You Were Here" is the other one.

CountryDew said...

That is a good video, yes. And very appropriate to a melancholoy mood.