Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lets Go Mets!

In spite of their lousy, lackluster play this year, I have newfound reason to get excited about the Mets this season: I just got tickets to their September 27 game, which is their next to last game at Shea Stadium before it meets the wrecking ball.

The tickets for the final game were sold out. I checked eBay and the best I could find for four tickets was $600. I love the Mets, but not that much. The ones I bought were only $121 for four. Upper deck, but close to home plate. Not a bad deal.

My first game at Shea I was about seven or eight (maybe nine, because it's right when the Mets really started to suck), we sat in the upper deck, and I will never forget that combination of thrill and vertigo as we went through the portal to the seats.

In the 70's, if you drank Dairylea milk, you could cut out coupons from the carton. If you saved enough you got free tickets to Shea. One day, I drank about 3 half gallon jugs of milk, just to get the coupons. Worst bellyache ever, but we got the tickets!

4 comments:

CountryDew said...

I have never been to a major league baseball game. It is on my list of things to do, but rather far down since I don't watch the sport. However, I always thought I should go just for the experience of doing so. I am glad you have the tickets for something you obviously enjoy.

Roanoke RnR said...

That's great! My husband made me promise that on our next trip up to NY we take the kids to Shea, which I always liked much more than Yankee stadium. I hope I can get tickets when I get there.

dsbowers said...

If you go to the Mets website, you can purchase tickets directly from them and print them at home. It even has a nice feature that lets you click on a diagram of Shea and see the view from your seats.

Roanoke RnR said...

The problem is that I won't know until the last minute when we're going. It all depends on how well my daughter heals from her operation. If it's meant to be, we'll be there...Ya gotta believe!