Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Rock Symphony Circus

As I mentioned recently, we capped off a very busy Saturday by attending the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra performance. This was a different show in that it was held in the Civic Center Colosseum rather than the Auditorium. Also, in addition to a traditional pops performance, they collaborated with a touring troupe called "Jeans and Classics" that played rock and roll songs, and they had circus acrobats performing (ala Cirque du Soleil, but not quite).

My "five words or less" review is that it was enjoyable but missed the mark in many ways.

The show was broken down into two halves. The first half was just symphonic pieces and it was quite nice. Although I couldn't tell you who the composers were (except on 76 Trombones), all of the selections were recognizable. During this segment, most of the pieces were accompanied by either an acrobat or a clown doing some juggling. Generally, the cirque performances were solo between the conductor and the crowd. One of them climbed up a dangling curtain with her legs and then did a free fall with her head finishing just a foot or so off the floor. There was some humorous banter between the conductor, David Wiley, and one of the clowns.

We took TB with us, because when I took him to see the Harlem Globetrotters he was fascinated by the acrobats at the halftime show, particularly when they did a human pyramid. So he kept asking me when they were going to do a pyramid.

After intermission, the rock show began and this is where they started to lose us a bit. They opened with the Beatles' For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, which is really a throwaway Beatles song if you ask me. Still, it has circus-like whimsy so I see where it came from.

The Symphony accompanied all of the rock songs and complemented them quite well, so I have no complaints there. In fact several of the songs, those that lend themselves most obviously to classical interpretation, were breathtaking: The Moody Blues Nights in White Satin, and Led Zeppelin's Kashmir were most memorable. The cirque performances along with these songs were phenomenal.

Where the show fell short was in the songs that did not have an acrobatic performance. At one point, my son, who was riveted most of the show, started fidgeting and whining for more clowns.

Songs where the focus was on Jeans and Classics, rather than the cirque performer or the symphony, were almost like bad Vegas shows at best, karaoke at worst. And some of the song choices were awful for a show like this. Michael Jackson's Don't Stop Till You Get Enough? Really? They did do a great job later with Thriller, but that would have been enough MJ. Also, Elton John's Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me just didn't fit. It's a great song if you are trying to feature a vocalist, but for an ensemble show it was all wrong.

As an aside, Jeans and Classics featured several vocalists. All did fine but none really stood out by really nailing their songs.

Toward the end, I was really looking forward to the Beatles A Day In The Life, which is one of my favorite songs. It was good, but I wasn't floored by it.

At the end, it seemed like David Wiley wanted to go on and on. Before each of the last two songs, large groups began leaving simply because the pause between pieces was so long that everyone thought the show was over. We were in the parking lot before the "Naaa . . . . naaa . . . . naaa . . . na-na-na-na's" began in Hey Jude.

I give the show a B-. Good symphonic performances, but poor song choices on the rock portion, and not enough clowns and acrobats overall. But it was a fun and different evening. We've never been to a traditional symphony performance and I will say this show would encourage me to try one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jefferson Street Realist,
I'm dying to hear what songs you would have selected
for the Rock Show half of the concert on Saturday night.I thought things flowed nicely and was quite impressed with the song selection. Clearly the Cirque
could not have been used on every number as it was not used on every number in the first half. I don't recall any orchestra, in recent memory anyway, playing the likes of "Us and Them" by Pink Floyd then some Doobie Bros. and yes, even Elton John. In case you didn't notice, the final song, "Don't let the sun go down on me" featured ALL of the Roanoke Symphony or "Ensemble" as you like to call it as well as The Jeans and Classics people.
Aside from all that, I thought the singers all stood out and nailed their tunes. Congrats to the Symphony for taking the chance on a Rock Show circus. Art has to move forward and I think the Roanoke cultural scene took a huge leap forward by attempting and pulling off such a forward thinking feat. It makes me proud to call this city home and I hope they continue to stretch the limits of what we expect as an audience.
Thank you..

dsbowers said...

Thanks, "anonymous". I appreciate your comments, and you are right that "Us and Them" was a highlight that I should have mentioned, and an unexpected one at that.

You are also correct that it the Symphony stuck their neck way out on this project and should be commended. If they did it again, I wouldn't miss it.

But I have to clarify, that when I was referring to an "ensemble" I was talking about Jeans and Classics, not the RSO. The RSO was spectacular throughout. Jeans and Classics disappointed at times.