Monday, June 2, 2008

The Purge

This weekend we had a yard sale. If you've ever had a yard sale, you know it's usually a lot of work for little financial gain, but the reward is in the cleanout.

LBB started last week by pulling things out of closets. Then Friday night, I got up in the attic and hauled down a bunch of mess: a barely used twin mattress and box spring, a gigantic Georgia O'Keefe print that I bought when I had my own place in D.C., three TV sets, a desk chair, etc. Then I moved on to the garage and the basement.

We also pulled out a ton of toys and books that TB has aged out of. At first, I didn't think books would sell. I suggested we donate those directly to Goodwill. As it turns out, they were a best seller.

Our friends down the street were selling, too, as was the church a little further down. So we had a good bit of traffic.

In the end, we did pretty well. About $250 in sales, two carloads of leftovers to Goodwill, and I only had to haul a few things back into the house. I was tired and sore by Saturday evening, but it was worth it.

Plus we got to meet all the characters that come out for these things: there was one pair of old, handicapped homosexuals that I remember from our last sale four years ago. They stayed for close to a half hour and only bought one Patsy Cline record for 25 cents. They were amusing, though.

Carloads of older people, of course.

Then, as I was getting ready to clean up, a shaky looking fellow arrived. He had a ponytail, was all sweaty, and had a cig dangling from his mouth. Honestly, I think he was a junkie. I asked, "How are you doing today?" and he replied, "Well, I'm vertical and I'm breathing, so OK I guess."

He turned out to be one of our best customers.

After we cleaned up from the sale, we had to scurry to a graduation party and then on to the Rock Symphony Circus performance by the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra. I'll post a review of that show later.

Busy day!

6 comments:

Roanoke RnR said...

I hate having yard sales. I spend too much time on them, just getting the crap ready, cleaning it, setting up, sitting out there all day, dealing with strangers who want to bargain everything down, and then I make nothing. I obviously overprice everything. I've decided since we just end up giving mostly everything to Goodwill anyway to elminate the middle man and just be done with it.

Anonymous said...

I stopped by with my son and bought several of TB's books!

dsbowers said...

Excellent! I guess I missed you because we had to scurry out to tee ball practice mid-morning.

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeard sales can be a pain in the butt but its nice to get rid of all the junk you really dont need. Lets us know when your next one is.

Amy Hanek said...

I USED to do the garage sale thing a lot. Now, I just give it away. My kids all dream of making big bucks on their leftover toys and I scoot those dreams to the curve as I box it and bring it to Goodwill.

I do remember we would have local hotel maids and retired men circling the house around 6:30 am. I would also always meet neighbors I didn't know I had (this was usually a good thing). I don't miss the cleaning, organizing and selling, but I DO miss the people!

CountryDew said...

It's hard to do a yard sale in the country, especially if you're off the road. I was going to have one this year but decided to just take the lot to Goodwill.