Thursday, May 1, 2008

Lunch Meat Lunacy

I'm working at home this morning because my office is on fire. No, not really. All I know is, it was surrounded by fire trucks and they wouldn't let us in when I got there. Rather than sit around waiting on the street with hundreds of people spreading rumors about the building caving in, I decided to head home. There's practically nothing I can't do here anyway.

But now it's lunchtime, which leads me to today's random rant: lunch meat. I decided to make a turkey sandwich, on whole wheat with a few cucumber slices and wasabi mayo. What's killing me, though, is the turkey itself. What happened to good ole' easy to handle sliced turkey? That seems hard to come by anymore. Same thing with ham and roast beef. What you get is either a shredded mess that has no resemblance to it's original form, or you get a mass conglomeration, folded over in and upon itself, slices so thin that you can't possibly separate them one from another to lay out onto a sandwich.

What I end up doing is grabbing wads of turkey, placing them side by side on the bread. What has happened here? I've used twice as much meat than I really wanted. That's what the meat barons of America want us to do: pile it high. Well, the way this stuff gets packaged it's hard to avoid. Merchandising at it's most clever.

I'd like to see them pull that off with salami, though.

My wife, on the other hand, is out for her second tasty ethnic meal in less than 18 hours. Last night, she and some hens went to The Isaacs for some Mediterranean goodness. Rave reviews all around. TB and I, after a delayed t-ball game ran on to 8PM, grabbed something from the always disappointing Wendy's. I don't know why I always fall for the Spicy Chicken sandwich. It never gets better, yet I keep trying.

Then today for lunch she's over at Taaza (warning: music). Me? I'm struggling to build a reasonable turkey sammich. Oh, well. At least she invited me but I've got no time for table service. I'm an important business man! Which reminds me: I guess I better go check my email.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too had dinner last night at Isaac's, and a turkey sandwich for lunch today. Even my 3 year old son enjoyed Isaac's, and the solution to your turkey problem is simple. Walk to Tinnell's and have George slice it anyway you like. He'll fold each slice so that it's easy to lift from the pile.