Monday, January 28, 2008

It's a Love/Hate Thing

I've been tagged by Country Dew with an interesting little meme. Who am I to disappoint?

I love to eat: almost anything, but my favorite would be seafood or my mother's chicken and dumplings.

I hate to eat: most cold cereals. I think I grew tired of it because a bowl was laid out for me every morning growing up. In college, it was like cereal heaven. There were dozens of bins lined up and it was all you can eat. I'm not sure I had any during those four years because I was so done with it. Today, I do enjoy a bowl of Life once in awhile and some of those with almonds floating up in there are OK, but it's rare.

I hate to go: to church. Sorry, folks, I know that's not a very popular position around these parts, but it's how I feel. Church makes me very uncomfortable. The Lutheran church was very important in G'diddy's life. Out of respect for him, I would go with the family a few times a year. We do take our son to Sunday school, which I have mixed feelings about, but I suppose there is no harm in it. My parents are Methodists, but they haven't gone to services in 40 years. I have my own thoughts about higher powers and things greater than me and all that. It doesn't mesh with Christianity, and I don't think I'm wrong, so church is not for me.

I love to go: to the beach, the golf course, hiking up mountains, skiing, walking around the neighborhood, to my son's sporting events, to my front porch with an ice cold beverage on a hot, sunny, summer afternoon.

I love it when: there is a sudden thunderstorm and I'm on my front port with an ice cold beverage on a hot, recently sunny, summer afternoon.

I hate it when: there is a sudden thunderstorm during a swim meet.

I love to see: the clock strike 4:00PM on a Friday afternoon. Not that I punch a clock, but that's generally quittin' time on Friday.

I hate to see: the wastefulness that springs from the overblown sense of entitlement we have in America, and the fact that it has completely infected the younger generation through all social strata. Think about all you can eat buffets, happy meal toys, Webkins, etc. The other night, the boy and I were on a quick turnaround before a basketball game and we went to Cici's pizza. Yeah, I know, that was our first mistake. There was a group there that must have eaten ten slices of pizza each. They had a little obese, bratty, whiny kid. He kept asking for quarters to go fish things out of a bin with a big claw. He did this about 25 times and the table was covered with the biggest pile of mess you've ever seen (cheapo stuffed animals, plastic snakes, little boxes of candy, who knows what else). When they departed, they left most of this junk behind on the table. These people, who from the look of them could barely afford to be there in the first place, dropped about $10.00 on cheap plastic junk that peasants in China worked all day to make, and then just left it there to be swept into the trash bin by the bus boy. WTF? Makes you proud to be an American, doesn't it?

I love to hear: My wife's laughter. You can literally hear her from blocks around, and it's infectious. If LBB is cackling, people are having a good time. Also, I love to hear the wind. Sorry, CD, but I have just the opposite feeling about wind. It's my favorite weather. Even though it once launched our deck umbrella into our neighbor's minivan, which caused significant damage, I still like wind.

I hate to hear: my son coughing in the night. His allergy issues have subsided greatly, so this is far less frequent than it used to be. Still, even if he's sleeping through it, it tears me up to hear it.

So there you have it.

2 comments:

CountryDew said...

Hey, that's a great list. You are brave to admit the church thing in this neighborhood! Thanks for doing the meme.

Librarian said...

Oh gosh, I so related to how you felt dining out. I just recently read Affluenza and I was so awakened. Check it out!