Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Bend Over: Pharmaceuticals

TB has been taking liquid Zyrtec for years. At least since he was two or three. He's always had allergy issues, and is borderline asthmatic, but this stuff really seems to do the trick for day-to-day maintenance.

Under my prescription plan, we were getting a 90 day supply for $100. We stretched it a bit, so it was probably more like a 100-120 day supply for us. Still, it cost us $300-$400 a year for this stuff.

On January 24, Zyrtec went OTC. Yippee! I thought maybe some savings would come of this, but here's the breakdown, based on the mail order prices from the place we've been getting our prescriptions:

If he keeps taking liquid, a 4 oz. bottle is $13. 4 oz. = 12 days worth. 365/12 x $13 = $395.42 for the year.

Or, he could take chewable tablets. Chewable tablets are $12 for 12 tablets, or 12 days worth. 365/12 x $12 = $365.00 for the year.

Bend over! That's no savings at all. So, the other option is he take regular tablets that he would have to swallow. He's only six, so I'm not sure he can do that.

Still, they have the generic tablet version for $45 for a 300 day supply! Now that saves us some dough.

We still have a bunch of the liquid available, so I guess the boy will be practicing his pill swallering, maybe with his Flintstones vitamins.

6 comments:

Rebecca D. Dillon said...

The regular tablets are small and easy to swallow. My son, now 11, started swallowing pills at age 4 b/c he hated the taste of liquid meds. It's worth a shot!

dsbowers said...

I was hoping someone would say that. Now I just need to convince my wife without sounding like a cheap, thoughtless grouch.

Roanoke RnR said...

Jeff, the pills are tiny and streamlined. My son was on them for about 5 years in conjunction with the shots. Thank God that ended!

CountryDew said...

I have discovered that chinese medicine is really good for allergies. You may want to consider taking your son to see an acupuncturist. It's just a thought. I wish I'd been to one about 40 years ago.

Haley said...

Hi Jeff - I found my way here via your post on Dad Gone Mad. I've been on Zyrtec for years and am actually disappointed it is now OTC...because of the price. But, I was at Costco the other day and they have 90 pills for about $35. It was a steal; that would only be $140/year...if he learns to swallow. :)

dsbowers said...

Thanks, Haley. I appreciate your comment. It's a bit of a sad reflection on the whole system that a drug going OTC costs people more than it did as a prescription on a health plan.

Good coverage, bad coverage, no coverage: we are all getting screwed one way or the other. I don't have an answer, but maybe leveling the field for everyone is a good start.