Sunday, April 15, 2007

Making the Best of a Rainy Day

LBB announced a few days ago that Sunday would be cleaning day. That might sound like she put the screws to me to pick up a mop, but the truth is, it just meant she wanted us out of the house for a few hours.

No problem.

Their beach trip was obviously wiped out because of G'diddy's hospital stay (which will soon evolve to a skilled nursing facility stay - he's getting better, but still not ready to go back to his apartment). There were kids in the house almost every day last week. Spring break became Honeytree on Jefferson, so the house needed some attention. I think my wife's spring break begins when TB goes back to school tomorrow.

When LBB was still working full time, we used to clean together on Thursday evenings so it would be looking good for the weekend. Then about three years ago, the stars lined up nicely and we were able for her to quit her job. She took over the cleaning then, and even though she's now working part time, it's still her thing. I'll vacuum or mop from time to time, but usually she's done it while I'm at work. And even though I like to cook, I'm not allowed to on cleaning day, because I supposedly make a mess.

So the boy and I headed for the hills. Actually, had it been a nice warm day, we may have literally headed for the hills for a hike. Instead, since it's cold, rainy, and dreary this weekend, we went out to lunch.

I had a few things to get at Target, so we went out that way. Had lunch at Red Robin. TB went to town on his fries, but he didn't seem to care much for his chicken fingers. I had a bacon cheeseburger, which was good, but at $7.99, I could have done just as well at Hardee's and saved about $5. Red Robin seems to be exceptionally proud of their fries. Not sure why. They are thick cut steak fries, but there's nothing special about them. Ore-Ida.

Then we made the Target run. Primarily, we were looking for the game Sorry. TB played with some friends last night and seemed to love it, and I remember playing as a kid, so I thought it would be a fun family thing. LBB wanted a long handled scrub brush for the baseboards around the house (yes, she is a clean machine). I almost bought a crock pot. We never had one, and I'm always teasing my wife, asking what she has in the crock pot for supper. They had a nice little red one for $20. I only got as far as picking up the box, but it never made it to the cart. As an impulse, I did buy an American flag. Oddly, we never had one, and every time we go to Lowe's, TB asks me to buy one. I'm pleased that he wants to fly the flag. Also, once I put up the flag pole holder, I can torture my wife by flying a Mets flag from time to time.

After Target, it was up to the hospital to visit G'diddy for awhile. We can't linger long, because the boy gets bored and starts grabbing at IV poles, and reaching for the Code Blue button and such. After about 30 minutes there we headed home. LBB went up later for a longer visit.

We played Sorry three times and I got slaughtered every time. I piddled around reading blogs, and listened to some music (Moby, Built to Spill, Neil Young, America, and Shadowfax - I'm in a rainy day way, today).

Then we had some spaghetti carbonara for dinner, and it's time to wind up another weekend. Overall, except for G'diddy being in the hospital, it was a pretty good rainy day.

No comments: