Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Puny Posting

I need to get to posting, posting, posting. I have three or four topics backed up: local restaurant and catering reviews, a couple of rants that will blow you down, updates about my boy. I have a Circle column due in a week. But I've just been too doggone busy with anniversaries and birthday bashes and work and swim meets and getting ready to go to the beach on Saturday.

See, part of the problem is that I'm no longer the night owl of my younger years. I used to think nothing of staying up until 2:00 AM, or just caffeinating my way through the entire night and proceeding on through the next day.

No more. After TB goes to bed, I'm good for maybe an hour, and that hour is spent prone on the bed with a book.

Sure, I'll have a few orange sodas and howl at the moon from time to time. You'll see the occasional midnight post, but I'm sure my writing suffers for it.

I'm not sure how James Lileks blogs all day, and then goes home and blogs on into the night. I'm glad he does, because he's an astonishing writer, but he survives on no sleep. Not me. It's all I can do to keep up with the blogs I like reading, let alone nurturing mine with the TLC I'd like to give it.

Ah, well, it's just a hobby for now. Someday, I'll ease on in to semi-retirement by searching for every paying gig I can find. Then I'll be hard at it all day long.

Tonight, let me just crow a bit about my son, who just won both the butterfly and the backstroke in the 6 and under group in this week's swim meet. In three meets, he had two first places in butterfly, a first in backstroke, a first and a second in freestyle. He DQ'd on breaststroke for pulling his arms below his waist. Not too shabby overall. 74 points for the team.

He loves winning those ribbons, but the best part is, he's not a bit cocky about it. He remains humble and just has fun. Doing well is a motivating factor for him, but by far not the biggest one. He just likes to be busy with his friends. So I'll brag for him.

No comments: