Monday, September 17, 2007

Football, Joy and Pain

This is our first football season here at JSR. Let me say, I love the game, enjoy watching it, but I'm not a raving looney about it, either. I'm not a big college football fan, which is at odds with most of our neighbors here in Virginia Tech country.

I have always preferred NFL football over college, and college basketball over the NBA. I could give you some boring reasons why, but I'll spare you.

My NFL teams are the Buffalo Bills in the AFC, and the Washington Redskins in the NFC. I've been a tortured soul for many years. The Bills this year, Oy! I don't even want to talk about it. Redskins, I predict a 6-10 frustrating season, just like we've seen over the last few years. Tonight's game against the Eagles is key, and they just ended the first quarter with a 3-0 lead. Nice start, anyway.

On the local scene, our touch football team, the Southies, got the living shit kicked out of us yesterday, 54-8. The reasons are myriad, the pain is deep, practice is necessary, and practice we will.

I'm as sore as I've been in awhile, and I didn't even play defense yesterday. Something between my upper chest and upper back is grabbing and stabbing at my ribcage. I can't even get comfortable sitting in a chair. I need to hit the weight room and tone up some muscles, once they stop throbbing.

LBB even took pity on me tonight and offered to take my turn with TB bedtime duty (we alternate nights, isn't that nice?) I must in obvious pain, because I was a bit of a cock this past weekend and sympathy is hard earned here on Jefferson Street. I expected she'd tell me to get over it.

2 comments:

RoanokeFound said...

You and me both kid. Been a Bill's fan since that heartbreaking kick in a loaded superbown vs. a team that admitted the Bills should have won.

Im to the point that I don't even watch the games or look at the score in fear of jinxing them.

How we suffer.

dsbowers said...

Hey, where you're from, I figured you for a Jets fan.

Ah, well, at least the Bills had four straight shots at it. Not sure we'll ever see that again in our lifetime.