Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What I Save in Gas Pays My Real Estate Tax

Very interesting thoughts today from Roanoke-Found on the state of the City. My next column in the Circle discusses some of the developments in the city over the last few years, and how I think they are a sign of forward thinking and a prosperous future for our area. But this post reminded me that it's important not only to attract people to the region, but primarily to the City of Roanoke.

I have always been amazed how many workers haul themselves in to Roanoke from Franklin, Montgomery, or Bedford Counties, or even Martinsville. In many cases, these are folks who can barely afford the gas to make that drive every day. What keeps them from considering a move to the city?

Me, I live on Jefferson and I work on Jefferson. It takes me less than one song on the radio to get to work, and that's exactly how I like it. How do we make the City attractive to people from all professions? I think the advent of downtown living has been step one, the revitalization of our inner neighborhoods should be step one-and-a-half. But Roanoke-Found has offered some very valid points about how that needs to be done very carefully.

2 comments:

Roanoke RnR said...

I don't think downtown living is going to take off until it becomes more of a neighborhood. There needs to be the basics such as delis or drug stores, open late and in walking distance if people are going to live there, especially those with families. In my opinion one of the best things about living in any downtown should be the ability to get around to get your essentials without the need of a car. The city market stalls are all well and nice, but I think other than buying some fresh fruits and veggies it is more for tourists than residents. They're not going to sustain a family's needs unless they live on candles.

dsbowers said...

Agreed. One good medium sized grocery would be a major step in that direction. There are certainly vacant buildings where it could go, but it would be a risky venture at this point.