Friday, February 9, 2007

I'm On To You

I work typical office hours, usually about 8:00 to 5:00. Sometimes I go in early, say 6:30 or 7:00. But regardless of the hour, it seems there are an unusual number of other drivers on the road in the morning who are on their cell phones.

Now I'm not going to fuss about talking and driving. I've had that conversation with LBB time and time again, and I lose. I don't use the cell phone much, but I can't say I pull over to the side of the road when I do, so I'd be a hypocrite to push that agenda.

What puzzles me is, who are all these people talking to at the crack of dawn? I don't like a lot of chit-chat in the morning, so perhaps it's just against my nature, but the practical me wonders just who do you need to talk to on the drive IN to work? You just left your house, so it's not your family. You are on the way to work, so it's not your boss or your co-workers. It may be your clients, if you are a high-powered business type. But that's not who I'm really seeing out there.

And then I figured it out: if you are on the cell phone, in the car, at 7AM, you are talking to the person you are having an affair with, who is in their own car, on the way to work, on their cell phone. Gotta make lunch hour plans, right?

Yes, I know what you're up to you early morning talkers. And to think that I saw it on Jefferson Street . . .

No comments: