Thursday, March 15, 2007

I'm The Taxman

Spent the evening crunching numbers. Finally taking care of our taxes. Exciting stuff, or what? Well, it is for us, because we are getting a heftier refund than I expected.

Even so, it's hard to trust the process. I have talked to several very intelligent people lately, all of whom have either screwed up their own taxes, had their taxes screwed up by a professional tax preparer, or had their taxes screwed up by a CPA. I'd rather screw it up myself and save the fee.

I am dying to wave a sign calling for an end to this mess, but every time I think a solution is simple and fair, I realize why it isn't. Simple and fair are in a tug o' war when it comes to our tax system. There's no way Congress can ever figure it out, so I guess we should just appreciate online filing and direct deposit. At least that adds a little speed and excitement to the whole dreadful process.

1 comment:

Rob said...

"Taxman" was a great song by the Beatles, was it not?

"Here's my advice to those who die / Declare the pennies on your eyes ... "

One of those great songs that George Harrison wrote.

Anyway, simple and fair don't necessarily need to be in a tug of war. The "Fair Tax" I believe is a real and viable solution.