Monday, March 19, 2007

Tee Ball

TB and I had our first experience with organized Tee Ball today, as he and a dozen other first timers gathered at 6:30 for practice. Things went much as I expected, with balls flying every which way, and little scuffles for grounders. Overall, though, these little guys and gals looked pretty good for rookies. Parents were recruited as needed to help in the field, the coaches were enthusiastic, and the kids all had a great time.

I can't wait to see the games. No score is kept, and they all get to bat around each inning. My hope is just that they come to understand where to chuck the ball when it's hit to them. When you think about it, baseball can be a complicated game for a five year old.

I can't tell you how proud I am when TB puts on his Mets t-shirt. You can expect a greater frequency of sports posts once baseball season starts. The Mets are returning with a team nearly intact from last year. I predict a similar NL East finish to last year, with the Mets winning by at least ten games. We'll just ignore the pre-season standings for now.

3 comments:

Roanoke RnR said...

How I miss those days, sniff, sniff. I loved being Team Mom and had such high hopes for my son to continue with baseball. If only he didn't get beaned twice in the head and had such a lousy manager that one year, he might have actually stuck with it. Enjoy these days, they're the best!

dsbowers said...

Yes, I have decided to freeze time with my son at five (especially after reading your teen angst post yesterday!).

It's a fun age, he's past the toddler torture (mostly) and every day is a fun new adventure. Shoot, I'd trade places with him.

Roanoke RnR said...

If it's any consolation, rest assured raising boys are easier ;)and if you figure out a way to freeze time let me know...