Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Losing a Whole Day

A major PC crash yesterday has consumed the last 30 hours of my life, so forgive the light and weak posting. I'm tired. I promise a hilarious rundown of my conversations with New Delhi, all of which were worthless, hopeless, and left me feeling helpless.

We are back up and running, but lingering small issues remain. Like I can't connect to my workplace, which means fix it, or shlep my tail into the office next time I go on call. And for some reason, after all was well for a few hours, IE just stopped working. I reloaded the software from our ISP, and now, here I am, but what in the world caused that problem?

Suddenly, I have no confidence in my less-than-a-year-old computer. According to the only person I got on the phone that seemed to have a clue, we experienced the modern version of the "blue screen of death". Not caused by a virus, a hardware failure, or any user dipshittitude, but by a mysterious, as yet not fully documented, bug in Windows XP. Oh, that makes me feel better.

3 comments:

RoanokeFound said...

It's ok. It does not make you any less of a man.

Anonymous said...

That's why everyone should own a Mac...

dsbowers said...

Next time, I will very seriously consider it.