Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bored About Beckham

ESPN has been kissing David Beckham's ass for about three hours now. To me, soccer has always been one of those games that is far more fun to play than to watch. Think: bowling, golf, tennis. OK, just about all sports except football , basketball, and (sometimes) baseball, right? Are they expecting Beckham to singlehandedly turn America on to professional soccer?

I just don't get it. Beckham may be the best ever, with a multi-million dollar contract, and he does have a skeletal, ghoulish, celebrity wife, but still . . . it's soccer. The game tonight has been going on for 73 fargin' minutes and it's 1-0. One goal. On a gigantic field. At least in hockey there is that possibility of a goal from across the arena. Ain't gonna happen in this game.

One thing I'll concede: I will be happy to see soccer get more coverage, because clearly we have many, many more soccer fans in the USA than ever before. If people love it, want to watch it, and it gets them out having fun, I'm all for it. Just not my game, I guess.

No comments: