Thursday, July 12, 2007

Envelope Etiquette

Here's something I wonder about: my mother, whenever she addresses a letter to my wife, writes "Mrs. David S. _____" on the envelope, instead of using my wife's actual first name. Does anyone still do this? Is this still proper? Frankly, I've always thought it was a bit obnoxious, because it almost implies that the sender wants me to open my wife's mail.

My mother is 78 years old, so I'm not going to correct her, but I just wonder if anyone still does this.

(Oh, yeah, David is my actual first name, but you can call me Jeff. That's fine, too.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's old fashioned, but hasn't yet crossed the line to "improper," any more than referring to a woman as "Miss" or "Mrs" (instead of Ms.) is improper -- that is, people are moving away from it for good reason, but the old style isn't considered offensive... yet.

I think my mother (78) still does that, but we don't get a lot of paper mail from her. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Roanoke RnR said...

I don't think it's improper but personally I wouldn't like it, but that's just me, as my husband doesn't when he gets something addressed to him with my last name. I wonder what the proper etiquette is when a husband and wife doesn't share the same last name as in my case. We get all sort of weird addressings.