Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Popsicle Plants

If you read about the sorry luck I'm having with pepper plants this summer, you'll be pleased to know that I've picked one banana pepper and one jalapeno, and we may actually get one or two more. That's a few dozen less than usual, but at least it's something.

The two tomato plants are looking quite robust, and I expect several dozen Romas and a handful of Big Beefs. That's a good trade off. Then, on the side of the house, we must have chucked a watermelon over the porch last year, because a rogue plant is taking over our bushes.

But the crop I'm most excited about is the one TB told me about this evening. We were outside in the driveway, I had just finished mowing the lawn, and he was putting his bike away.

"Daddy?" he asked, because he prefaces nearly all of his sentences with that, "Come see something."

He lead me to the mulched area between the driveway and the house. There were two popsicle sticks poking out of the mulch.

"What's that, T?"

"S_____ and I did that today."

"Why did you jam popsicle sticks into the ground?"

"Because we want to grow more popsicles!"

"Who's idea was that?" I asked him.

"Both of ours. We thought of it together."

My boy. Misguided, but still on the right track. I might have to go to the greenhouse this weekend and get a few more popsicle plants. He planted bomb pops, but I really prefer lemon.

2 comments:

Rebecca D. Dillon said...

That's great. How cute. :)

CountryDew said...

That's just too cute and funny. Growing popsicles. Love it!