Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Proud Papa

Allow me to brag about my child for a minute (like I don't, anyway). I'm not sure where he gets this from, but the boy can swim fast. I can sink fast, I can drink fast, once in a while I can think fast, but there's no way I can swim fast. LBB used to be on the swim team in high school, but she hasn't kept it up. So where's this coming from?

TB finished the regular summer swim season with the best 25 meter butterfly time in the league for 6 and under boys, 28.72 seconds. He had a bunch of first place ribbons in other events, too. The crazy thing is, even though he will be seven before next summer's season, he still swims 6&U because of when his birthday falls. So if he wants to swim next year, he should be cruising to victory.

We don't push him too much, though. I don't want him to hate something for which he seems to have natural ability. I'm proud, I want him to keep it up, but there is no way I'm sending a six year old to daily practice year round. So far, he has found his own pleasure in the sport and the competition, without any prodding from us. He will have a few months off, play soccer, get used to first grade, and then maybe in the winter he will do twice a week lessons.

Here he is, all intense and ready to go, during one of his meets. He's thinking Olympics 2024.

1 comment:

Rebecca D. Dillon said...

That's great he loves swimming. My son has dug soccer since he was four and has played ever since. He's ten now - and we call him "the boy" too.