Sunday, July 15, 2007

Rush

I've always loved a variety of music. One of my favorites in high school was Rush. My wife hates this about me, but I don't subject her to it very much. She thinks Geddy Lee's voice is annoying. She doesn't understand that you're supposed to focus on the drums!

Still, Rush took a nose dive in songwriting quality about 20 years ago, and I'm not sure they ever came out of it. I'm sure I'm just old and mired in my old favorites, but if you ask me, their last quality album was Grace Under Pressure and that came out about 1984 or so.

I'll grant you, they put out a nice album of cover songs in 2004 called Feedback. It had versions of "Mr. Soul", "The Seeker", and "For What It's Worth". I haven't loved their original music, though. Today, I heard a song from the latest album on the radio, and I thought it sounded like crap.

Whatever. On tour, I'm sure they are focusing on the old stuff anyway.

But then, I checked out their website, and that same song kicked off as soon as I got there. It was well worth a second listen, because it rocked.

Sorry, LBB, I might have to get the new Rush record.

2 comments:

Yo Scott said...

Hey there. Just saw Rush up in NoVA 3 weeks ago. They played for over 3 hours. It was fannnntastic. They played a real good mix of old stuff and the new album, which is surprisingly good compared to the past offerings the last 15-20 years or so. Check it out :)

Isorski said...

I just caught them in Portland Saturday and they whipped out some major old gems, as well as lots of new stuff. I agree with your take on the songwriting. Grace Under Pressure is for sure a pivot point. But there have been some good moments since. If you get the live album Different Stages, you get smoking live versions of the best of those 90s CDs without the filler. I posted a review from the Portland show on my blog at http://isorski.blogspot.com/. Enjoy!