Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Yet Another Sports Arrest

Here's a teeeeny little article in the Sports section of today's local paper:

"Jaguars waive Carroll after arrest
JACKSONVILLE, Fla.- The Jacksonville Jaguars waived cornerback Ahmad Carroll two days after he was arrested on weapon and drug charges."


That's it. That's the whole fargin' story. I didn't bother to go looking for the details. I am so damn tired of reading this same thing, day after day after day. We pretty much expect at least one athlete and one celebrity a day to do a career face plant. Who else was it today? Ty Pennington from Trading Spaces or whatever other show he is on now.

If we can't find a new schmuck, we hope one of the old losers hits bottom again. Seriously, people, why do we care? Why has the inside front page of our local paper turned into the Los Angeles DUI blotter? We have dozens, if not hundreds, getting blown to pieces in Iraq daily, but on page two, we read about Alec Baldwin.

I'm not fussing about our local paper, specifically. Looking back at the Sports page, you know what? I wouldn't really give a crap about Ahmad's drug charges, but the weapons concern me a bit.

Why is it that so many pro athletes feel the need to carry weapons? Because they surround themselves with people they can't trust, that's why. I couldn't care less if anyone famous or otherwise, felt like getting high in their homes. But because it's illegal, and thus becomes a business trying to fly under the radar of law enforcement, the stakes grow higher. Players carry guns as "protection" and end up getting arrested outside a club at 2:00AM. I'd love to know how the arrest rate of professional athletes compares to the general population.

I am a sports fan, but I'm about through. My boy hasn't yet picked a specific sports hero, but I'm scared for when he does. I can't defend the privileged athletes and celebrities who screw up in their private lives. They bring it on themselves. Each day, though, you never know who's going to face justice, be it justified or not.


No comments: