Friday, August 10, 2007

Bear In The Buckwheat

Yes, I have one more thing to crab about before I call it a night, but first, I thought I'd explain today's quote in the upper right sidebar. RDB is my father. "Look at that bear shit in the buckwheat!" is what he (and my grandfather) used to shout out to distract us before they swatted us in the head for doing something brainless.

What he is referring to is not a discreet pile of bearshit, in the buckwheat. Imagine a big ole' bear, squatting down and shitting in the buckwheat. That's the distraction, and that gets you a whack in the head. I'm not sure if he got his verb tense exactly right, but to me, the act of the bear is a much more powerful vision than the end result.

So, oftentimes when something disturbs me, I'll say that someone needs to hear about the bear in the buckwheat.

So here is something: I was thinking of ordering a sub tonight from a pizza joint that delivers to the hotel. When I looked at their menu, of course I checked to see if they offered anchovies as a pizza topping (because if they don't, it's not a pizzeria). Well, they do have anchovies, but with a big ole asterisk saying it counts as "two toppings". Huh? Not only anchovies, but the following all count as "two toppings": BBQ sauce, Pesto, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, chicken, meatballs, artichokes, red peppers, spinach.

Explain. Someone please explain why I shouldn't tell these people about the bear in the buckwheat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, well.. the way i've always heard it is, "Show him/her/them where the bear shits in the buckwheat!" And to me (and my family) it's always been a phrase relavent to "Show them who's boss!" It's an 'Alpha' phrase pertaining to authority. I hope this helps you and your readers to understand it a bit more. If someone steps on your toes about your authority, then you can "show them where the bear shits in the buckwheat" as its so put. :)

Sig. said...

In my family, when someone "Shows him where the bear shit in the buckwheat" they are saying something that needs to be said but that everyone's afraid to say.

For example: Cousin X gained some weight. Cousin Y made a comment about it to Cousin X. Cousin Y was not afraid to show Cousin X where the bear shit in the buckwheat.

Sig. said...

In other words, the person who is willing to show someone where the bear shit in the buckwheat is a pretty ballsy person...has a lot of chutzpah. :)