Thursday, August 23, 2007

Crushing Disappointment

I'm on day four of healthy living. I haven't killed anyone yet, but I am a bit cranky. Earlier, I was thirsty and craving some water, so I went to the break room and hit the Dasani button. Out shot a Cherry Coca-Cola One. That is not what I had in mind at all. There were a few people in there, and I let them know I wasn't happy. They just looked at me.

I'm not a water snob. Ordinarily, I have no problem using the water fountain in the hallway, but today there was a wadded up tissue laid up on it. Yuck. I think I'm the only one in the building that uses the fountain anymore. It's always bone dry when I use it.

I know, I know, a fountain is supposed to be awash with bacteria, but if I'm the only one using it, how dirty can it be?

So, I'm a bit hungry these days. I've been eating sensibly - except for a couple cold ones at the pool last night - and I'm keeping track. A light breakfast, turkey sandwiches with mustard instead of mayo for lunch, reasonable low fat dinner. Last night, I announced to my wife that the diet could "suck me", but I ended up making a couscous and tomato salad anyway. It was OK. My best guess, I've been averaging about 1400 calories a day.

Tonight, we are going to do something with portabella mushrooms, but I don't know yet what it will be. I'm going to hit the gym after work.

I went running last night, although it was a very short run while my son had soccer practice. While there, LBB called and said she was at the pool, so we went over there. Of course everyone was clinking it up, so I had to have a beer or two. Empty calories, but I was parched after my run, and boy did it taste good.

I'm not going to be a martyr to my diet over the weekend, but there are a few things I'm planning that should help. First, TB and I have been ordered out of the house Saturday morning so LBB can clean. (Bye, bye, now!) We are going to go for a hike, weather permitting. That will burn a few. Also, on the weekends, I often eat a big lunch, so I'll skip the second sandwich and fill in with some veggie snacks.

At some point though, before the weekend is over, I want a senseless meal, a major overindulgence. I'm going to grub it out. Then Monday back to the new healthy routine.

So far, I'm down 5 pounds. I know the first 10 are easy and then you level off, but it's encouraging and I'm determined to make my goal.

No comments: