Friday, August 3, 2007

Haircuts

I just got a haircut, and on the walk back I got to thinking about my haircuts over the years. I remember the old-time barbershop I went to as a little boy. My father still goes there. The place smelled like old men.

Then when I was eleven or so, I started going to a salon to get my hair 'feathered'. We all looked like Shaun Cassidy back then, or we tried. Yeah, I carried a big handled comb in my back pocket.

I know where I went in college, and I've been going to the same place in Roanoke for the last 12 years. What is scaring me, though, is that I have absolutely no recollection where I went for haircuts when I lived in Washington, DC from 1989-1995.

I don't get it cut very often, maybe three or four times a year, but still, you'd think I would remember six years of haircuts. The only thing I recall is that once I went to the Hair Cuttery (a.k.a. the Hair Fuckery, per my wife) , but I didn't do that all the time. I know I had a regular place, but it has completely vanished from my memory. I remember my dentist and where I got my car serviced and where we went out at night and I can tell you some great shortcuts across town. I just don't know who cut my hair.

I'm slipping, folks!

No comments: